Files encrypted by Cat Ransomware: Is there any solution?
Threat Name: Cat Ransomware, .Cat File Virus
Threat Type: Ransomware, file virus, crypto-malware
Ransom note: “!INFO.hta”
File Extension: “.Cat”
Description: This dubious malware encrypts/locks all types of files stored in your machine and demands ransom payment for decryption.
Distribution methods: Malicious emails and attachments, suspicious hyperlinks, fake software updaters, installers and downloaders
Motives of attackers: Aims to collect your personal information and shares these collected details to other attackers to generate some revenue from them.
Ransomware removal method: To remove Cat Ransomware or similar malware, we recommended you to scan your computer with strong antivirus software.
Data recovery solution: To restore all files locked by Cat Ransomware, you can use strong data recovery software.
How did Ransomware install on computer?
What is Cat Ransomware? What it does?
Cat Ransomware is another crypto-malware and computer infection belongs to “VoidCrypt Ransomware” family. This nasty file virus is designed to encrypt/lock all types/formats of files stored in your computer including images, audios, videos, games, pdf, ppt, xlx, css, html, text, documents, databases and other files. In other words, you can’t access or open your personal files anymore due to its dubious behaviors. During encryption process, it renames each file by adding cybercriminals’ email ID, Victim’s unique ID and appending .Cat File Extension. After encryption process is finished, “!INFO.hta” files as ransom notes are dropped in each folder of your computer hard drive that contain encrypted files.
“!INFO.hta” ransom note states that all files stored in your computer have been locked due to some security reasons and requires paying certain amount of ransom money within 48 hours after encryption for the decryption. It claims that the price of ransom money will be double after 48 hours if ransom money is not paid. The ransom note contains the information about this ransomware, how you can recover or decrypt all files locked by ransomware, technical supports’ email or cybercriminals’ email ID and ransom money details. As proof that they have right decryption keys/software, they provide initially free decryption test for some locked files and asks you to send 2-3 locked files within 1MB of size on the [email protected] and [email protected] email address mentioned on ransom note.
After free decryption test successful, they ask you to pay certain amount of extortion money in Bitcoin Cryptocurrency to decrypt rest of the files. Keep in mind that they are not going to recover or decrypt your files any cases. So, we recommended you to please stop paying any amount of extortion money to them. They can keep record of your some information such as IP address, URLs search, login ID & password of your various accounts, age, address or geolocation, credit card & ATM number, banking information and more details. So, it is important to delete Cat Ransomware from machine as soon as possible.
How to protect your System against Ransomware or other similar malware?
- Any hyperlinks or attachments presented in spam or irrelevant emails must not be opened.
- You should check if “Anti-Spam Filter” feature is enabled. You can enable this feature using powerful antivirus software that could helps to deliver all the spammy emails to spam folder of your mailbox which you use like Gmail.
- Hover your mouse over any hyperlinks before click and double-check if the hyperlinks are belongs to some trustworthy sources.
- Keep up-to-date your Operating System (OS), antivirus software and other genuine software installed in your machine.
- Scan the PC for malware or viruses regularly with powerful antivirus software.
Let’s take have a look at message displayed on ransom note:
!!! Your Files Has Been Encrypted !!!
♦ your files has been locked with highest secure cryptography algorithm ♦
♦ there is no way to decrypt your files without paying and buying Decryption tool♦
♦ but after 48 hour decryption price will be double♦
♦ you can send some little files for decryption test♦
♦ test file should not contain valuable data♦
♦ after payment you will get decryption tool ( payment Should be with Bitcoin)♦
♦ so if you want your files dont be shy feel free to contact us and do an agreement on price♦
♦ !!! or Delete you files if you dont need them !!!
♦Your ID :-
our Email :[email protected]
In Case Of No Answer :[email protected]
Do You Suspect Your Computer May Be Infected with ‘Cat Ransomware’ & Other Threats? Scan Your Computer for Threats with SpyHunter
Spyhunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Cat Ransomware as well as a one-on-one tech support service.
(Data Recovery Soution)
The first recommendation is to recover your encrypted data with backup files you have created. In case there is no backup available, try to restore your encrypted data with data recovery tool suggested here.
Recommended methods for Cat Ransomware removal and restore encrypted files
Cat Ransomware is very harmful crypto-malware designed to encrypt all types of files including photos, audios, videos, documents and other files, and make them inaccessible. After encryption process, it spreads the ransom note in each folder of your computer that claims the decryption is possible only when you use its data recovery service. We recommended you to please avoid paying demanded ransom money to them.
In that case, you need to remove Cat Ransomware and all the related components from PCs immediately and then perform data recovery process. Here, we are discussing about both malware removal and data recovery method that could help you to solve your problem. Ransomware removal method will help to find the location of this nasty crypto-malware in your computer and remove them completely while data recovery method will help you to get back your damaged or locked files in your machine. Let’s go for the solution.
Remove Cat Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
- Restart your PCs and press “F8” function key multiple times you see the “Advance Boot Options” window
- Select “Safe Mode with Networking” in the list
- Now, log in to account with Cat Ransomware infection
- Open your internet browser and download the legitimate anti-malware software. You can download “SpyHunter” anti-malware software that has the ability to delete all types of malware or spyware from machine.
- Update the anti-malware software and starts the “Full Scan” operation to remove all programs related to Cat Ransomware from machine.
Remove Cat Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and “System Restore”
- Restart your computer and press “F8” function key multiple times until “Windows Advance Options” menu appears
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” option in the list
- Now, type “cd restore” command in command Prompt and hit “Enter” key to execute it
- After that, type “rstrui.exe” command in command line and hit “Enter” key
- Once “rstrui.exe” command executed, “System Restore” window will appear
- Click on “Next” button
- Choose one of available “Restore Points” and click on “Next”
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Yes” to start “System Restore” process
- After restoring your computer to previous date, download/install and scan your computer with powerful anti-malware software to eliminate any remaining malicious programs related of Cat Ransomware. You can download the powerful antivirus software via “download link” below
Restore files encrypted by Cat Ransomware using “Windows Previous Versions” feature
To restore individual files encrypted by Cat Ransomware, follow the steps below:
- To restore a file, right-click on it and go to “Properties”
- Select the “Previous Versions” tab
- If the relevant files has a “Restore Point”, select it and click on “Restore” button
Note: This method is only effective if “System Restore” function was enabled on your Windows operating System. On other hand, some ransomware variants like Cat Ransomware are known to remove “Shadow Volume Copies” of the files. So, we can say that this method may not work for data recovery.
Restore files locked by Cat Ransomware using “Shadow Explorer”
To restore files, you can use “Shadow Explorer” application. This application allows you to browse the “Shadow Copies” created by Windows OS Shadow Copy Service. “Shadow Explorer” helps if you are unable of access the “Shadow Copies” by default especially in “Windows Home Editions”. Note that “Shadow Copies” can directly be accessed only in Business Ultimate and Enterprise versions.
“Shadow Explorer” provides Volume Shadow copy service and other features including retrieve all the variants of files and folders available, allow to access through shadow copies and show available current copies.
Important Note: This data recovery application is designed to decrypt or recover your files from Shadow copies which is created by “Windows Volume Shadow Copies Service”. But when we talk about Cat Ransomware or other harmful ransomware variants, it usually deletes “Shadow volume copies” and any other backup files using malicious tricks. So if System has already been infected with this type of ransomware virus, then you can’t access “Shadow Copies” using this software. Anyway, you can use “Shadow Explorer” if you want and please check if it works.
How to download/install and use “Shadow Explorer” on Windows PCs?
- Click on “Download” button below to download the “Shadow Explorer” application
- Double-click on “Installer file” or “Downloaded ZIP file” to install this software
- Once installed, open “Shadow Explorer” as Administrator
- Now, from the drop down list you can select from one of the available point-in-time Shadow copies
- You can right-click on any file or folder and export it
- After that, choose a folder where the files from “Shadow Copies” are saved to
- In case if a file or folder in the destination folder already exists, “Shadow Explorer” asks for the confirmation before overwriting. Check the box “Do not show this dialog again”, if you don’t want to show this again.
- There is a button in the settings (File, Settings) to reset this decision
Recovery of files encrypted by Cat Ransomware or similar ransomware
If you are unable to recover your lost files by using “System Restore”, “Windows Previous versions features” and “Shadow Explorer”, then you can go for another data recovery solution. As said earlier in most of the cases, ransomware variants like Cat Ransomware are capable of deleting “Shadow volume copies” created by Windows OS by default. In this case, you can use “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software”. This powerful data recovery software is designed to recover all files encrypted by Cat Ransomware.
“ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” is user-friendly software for Windows and Mac OS X based devices that features include RAID and Virtual drive recovery and repairing all types of corrupted files. It works with both non-bootable and encrypted drives. In simple word, we can say that this powerful data recover software does great job.
This powerful recovery software takes less time to recover files locked by Cat Ransomware and support all known files type and custom types can be added with advanced options menu. “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” recovers emails, photos, audios, videos, documents and etc from any storage media devices like hard drives, SSD, DVD, USB drives, and others
On other hand, it recovers crucial data from missing or deleted partitions of hard drive volume in just few steps. It generates a preview of search results during scan so you get to see all the recoverable files before recovery. This preview result appears on screen in “Tree-View” and deleted list formats.
How to download/install and use “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” on Windows PCs?
- Click on “Download” button below to download “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” in your computer
- Double-click on “Installer file” to install the application
- Once installed, open “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software”
- Select type of data you want to recover. Option: All Data, Office Documents, Folders, Emails, Audios and Videos. And then click on “Next”
- Now, select he folder location, drive or volume you want to scan for data and click on “Scan”
- Wait for the completion. Once done, select the files and click on “Recover” button to save your recover files