Easy methods to delete .crdownload from machine
.crdownload is temporary file extension that states the file is not completely downloaded. These types of temporary files can usually seen in “Downloads Directory” of Google Chrome web browser or sometimes on Microsoft Edge browser on your device when the download was not successful. The file with .crdownload extension is known as “Chrome Partial Download” files. However, creation of this file on Chrome browser or other browsers might occur due to several reasons including internet connection problems, other processes or some genuine functions of your browser that stop the file from downloading the application and result in, .crdownload file is dropped in Downloads directory of Chrome.
.crdownload extension is not associated to malicious programs but sometimes various malicious scripts or processes appear running in your System backdoor and files stored in your computer indicating of malware or spyware, while this file with uncommon extension is normal to get frustrated and might cause several issues in System in future. As per our research, sometimes .crdownload file extension and/or other similar uncommon file appendix can indicate malware of ransomware-type because cybercriminals behind ransomware attack use some kind of file appendix to execute encryption module in your machine and lock each file, and tricks you into paying certain amount of extortion money for decryption.
You can’t call .crdownload file extension as computer virus, ransomware or malware because it is not associated with any cyber threats or causes damage. This is a temporary file usually stored in Downloads folder of Chrome browser and/or on other Chromium-based browsers. If you start downloading a certain file on Chrome browser and you couldn’t finish the download for some reasons, then you may see the file with .crdownload extension in Downloader folders or on some other folders that indicates file was not successfully downloaded. In this case, you can try to resume the download the file and fix the temporary file so chrome browser will try to finish the started processes.
.crdownload virus corrupts several legitimate processes or important files
As per our research, malware programmer or scammers can be behind delivering of this type of temporary file that can attempt to corrupt major genuine functions or processes of your computer. Such file created by attackers can be considered adware or malware that is not safe for your online privacy & System security. The main motive of attackers is to monitor your online activities and steals your browsing-related data or sensitive information.
The adware or potentially unwanted programs/applications (PUAs) can be downloaded/installed from other software as additional offers. Sometimes, the temporary files automatically downloaded and stored in “Downloads” folder of your Chrome browser when download errors occurs, can be malware or adware and it is important to remove .crdownload adware type extension as soon as possible to fix problem associated with it.
- Keep up-to-date your Operating System like Microsoft Windows OS, Mac OS, Linux and/or others.
- Remove all the problematic software running in your device and update rest of the programs or applications including antivirus software from its official sources.
- Scan the PC for malware or viruses with powerful & latest updated antivirus software regularly.
- Double check the application before download/install and any applications should be downloaded from official sources or via direct links.
- Hover your mouse over any hyperlinks, ads, or popup before click and check if their sources are trustworthy or not.
Threat Name: .crdownload, .crdownload temporary file
Type: Temporary file created when file you want to download, was not successfully downloaded.
Description: This file can easy seen in “Downloads” folder of Chrome browser or other Chromium-based browsers when downloads errors occurs. This is not associated with malware or viruses so it can’t be dangerous anymore. However, threat actors can take advantage of these download errors and spread several unwanted programs to corrupt major genuine processes.
Malware removal method: To remove .crdownload temporary file or similar uncommon extension files, we recommended you to scan your System with powerful antivirus software.
Do You Suspect Your Computer May Be Infected with ‘.crdownload‘ & Other Threats? Scan Your Computer for Threats with SpyHunter
Spyhunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like .crdownload as well as a one-on-one tech support service.
Recommended Methods for .crdownload removal from computer
.crdownload is very dangerous threats designed to injects malicious codes in each location of your computer and damage your computer in very quick time. So, it is important to detect all components related to this virus and attempt to delete as soon as possible. Here, we are discussing about manual and automatic method of malware removal that could help you to remove adware, PUA, PUP, Trojan, worms or other harmful viruses from System.
We will talk about “Automatic Method” further in this article. This process is only about manual method which allows you to detect/delete all the malicious extensions or add-ons installed on your browser. The solution here will help you eliminate unwanted programs or applications from PCs, and remove .crdownload related programs from System registry and so on.
You should read the manual guide carefully and follow each step one-by-one mentioned here. In case if you miss any step or jump to the next one by escaping, it might cause several other System problems. In other word, we can say that there is need of technical knowledge or enough computer knowledge to follow the manual steps. Let’s try to know the location of .crdownload and other associated files in your computer, and remove all the components from System completely using manual method.
Remove .crdownload and related component from Windows PCs manually
For Windows 10 users:
- Open “Setting” App by pressing “Windows + I” key together from keyboard
- Go to “Apps > Apps and Features”
- Locate .crdownload related programs or other malicious applications in the list
- Click on malicious program and click on “Uninstall”.
- Follow the On-Screen instructions to uninstall the program completely. Once done, please check if .crdownload related files or program is removed.
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users:
- Click on “Windows + R” key from keyboard to open “Run Dialog Box”
- Type “Control Panel” in “Run Dialog Box” and hit “Enter” key
- In the opened Control Panel, select “Programs and Features”
- Now, locate all the malicious programs related of .crdownload in the list
- Click on it and then click on “Uninstall” button
- Follow the On-Screen instructions to uninstall the malicious program.
For Windows 7 users:
- Click on “Start” button and type “Control Panel” in Windows Search
- In the opened Control Panel, go to “Uninstall a Program” option
- Now, find all the malicious programs in the list
- Select it and click on “Uninstall” button.
- Wait for the completion. Once done, please check if .crdownload related programs is removed.
For Windows XP users:
- Click on “Start” button and click on “Control Panel”
- In the opened Control Panel, Go to “Add or Remove Program” option
- Locate .crdownload and other malicious programs in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” to remove it from PCs
- Follow the On-Screen instructions to finish the uninstall process.
Remove .crdownload from “Windows Registry Editor”
- Press “Windows + R” key together from keyboard to open “Run Dialog Box”
- In the opened “Run Dialog Box”, type ”regedit” and hit “Enter” key to open “Windows Registry Editor” App
- In the opened “Registry Editor” Window, search for registry entries created by .crdownload and delete it permanently. Navigate the following location give below and delete .crdownload from here
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run” “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run” “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce” “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce”
- Once done, close “Registry Editor” window and please check if .crdownload related files is removed.
Delete .crdownload and related components from Mac OS X manually
Stop .crdownload related malicious programs from “Activity Monitor”
- Go to “Go > Utilities” to open “Utilities” Folder
- Navigate the “Activity Monitor” icon in the list and double-click on it to open
- Find all the malicious process related to .crdownload and click on “cross button” on upper left corner to end the task
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Fore Quit” option. Once done, please check if .crdownload related files is removed.
Remove .crdownload from “Applications” folder
- Go to “Go > Applications” to open “Applications” folder
- Now, locate .crdownload related programs in the applications folder
- Right click on malicious one and click on “Move To Trash” button
Remove .crdownload from “LaunchAgents” folder
- Navigate to “Go > Go to Folder” and type “/Library/LaunchAgents” and then hit “Go” button
- Now, find all entry related to .crdownload from “LaunchAgents” folder.
- Click on it and the drag it to “Trash” Folder
Remove .crdownload related programs from “Application Support” folder
- Navigate “Go > Go to Folder”
- Type “/Library/Application Support” in “Go To Folder” and hit “Go” button
- Now, search for .crdownload related infection in “Application Support” folder
- Select it and drag it to “Trash” folder
Uninstall malicious programs related to .crdownload from “LaunchDaemons” folder
- Press “COMMAND + SHIFT + G” button together to open “Go to Folder”
- In the opened “Go To Folder”, type “/Library/LaunchDaemons” and click on “Go” button
- Now, locate .crdownload related entry in “LaunchDaemons” folder
- Select the malicious one and move it to “Trash” Folder
Remove all extensions, add-ons or plug-ins related to .crdownload from web browsers
Remove malicious extensions from Google Chrome
- Open “Google Chrome” browser and click on “Chrome Menu” or “Gear icon”
- Go to “More Tools > Extensions” option
- Now, locate the malicious extensions associated with .crdownload in the list
- Select the malicious one and click on “Trash” icon
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Remove” button. Once done, please check if .crdownload related extensions is removed.
Reset Google Chrome:
- Open “Google Chrome” browser and click on “Gear icon” or “Chrome Menu”
- Select “Settings” and scroll down to bottom of screen and click on “Advanced” link
- Click on “Reset” button and to confirm reset the Google Chrome Settings, click on “Reset” button on confirmation dialog box.
Delete malicious extensions from Mozilla Firefox
- Open “Mozilla Firefox” browser and click on “Firefox Menu” or “Gear icon”
- Go to “Add-ons > Extensions”
- Now, find recently installed malicious add-ons or extensions related to .crdownload in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” button to remove it completely
Reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open “Mozilla Firefox” browser and click on “Firefox Menu”
- Go to “Help > Troubleshooting Information”
- In the opened window, click on “Refresh Firefox” button
- After that, click “Refresh Firefox” button on confirmation dialog box and reset the Firefox settings
Remove all the extensions or plug-ins related to .crdownload from Internet Explorer
- Open “Internet Explorer” browser and click on “Gear icon” at the top right corner of Internet Explorer browser
- Go to “Manage add-ons > Toolbars and Extensions”
- Now, find .crdownload related extensions in the list
- Select the malicious one and click on “Disable” button to remove it permanently
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Open “Internet Explorer” browser and click on “Gear icon” or “Tool Menu”
- Click on “Internet Options” and select “Advanced” tab
- Now, click on “Reset” button
- In the confirmation dialog box, mark the “Delete Personal Settings” and then click on “Reset” button again
Uninstall .crdownload related plug-ins from Microsoft Edge
- Open “Microsoft Edge” browser and click on “Edge Gear” icon at the top right corner
- Select “Extensions” and search for recently installed plug-ins or extensions in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” button
Reset Microsoft Edge:
- Open “Microsoft Edge” browser and click on “Edge Menu”
- Select “Settings” and click on “Reset Settings” button to rest the Microsoft Edge Settings
Remove .crdownload related extensions or add-ons from Safari browser
- Open “Safari” browser and click on “Safari Menu”
- Go to “Preferences > Extensions”
- Now, locate .crdownload related extensions in the list
- Select it and click on “Uninstall” to remove it completely
Reset Safari browser:
- Open “Safari” browser and click on “Safari Menu”
- Select “Clear History and Website Data…..”
- In the opened window, choose “All History” option and click on “Clear History” button
Automatic method of .crdownload removal
The procedures mentioned above is all about manual method of .crdownload removal means you can remove any malicious applications, add-ins or extensions, malicious registry entries from computer and browser. But these processes are time consuming and needs lots of technical knowledge to implement. So, you can go for automatic method of malware removal. This procedure will be helpful for both technical & non-technical users and they could remove all types of infection from their Windows OS and Mac OS X computer in very quick time. Let’s go for automatic method.
Automatic method: Remove .crdownload and related components from Windows PCs
Here, we suggest you to download/install and use “SpyHunter” anti-malware software on your Windows OS based devices. This security tool will help you to delete all the components related of .crdownload from your machine in few minutes. However, both technical and non-technical users can easily use this application and remove unwanted programs from their PCs.
“SpyHunter” security application is designed to detect and delete all types of malware including adware, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), PUAs, rootkits, browser hijackers, Trojan horse virus, backdoor virus, worms, keyloggers and other types of malware.
“SpyHunter” anti-malware is powerful security tool that works on advance scanning mechanism to identify viruses quickly. It is in-built with enhanced multi-layer process that helps you to search for all types of malware. This security application is capable of detecting and removing all kinks of malware or viruses from machine.
This security application features user friendly interface and 24 * 7 Customer Support, HelpDesk customer support service, and the support team delivers custom malware fixes with help of HelpDesk feature.
How to download/install and use “SpyHunter” anti-malware software?
- Click on “Download” button given below to go to “SpyHunter” page and download the “SpyHunter” software
- Once downloaded, double-click on “Installer” file to install the program on your machine
- Follow On-Screen instructions to install “SpyHunter”.
- Once done, open “SpyHunter” and click on “Start Scan Now” button to start scanning process. For the first time, you should select “Full Scan” option
- Now, click on “View Scan Results” to see the list of detected threats or infections
- After that, click on “Next” button to registry the software and remove permanently if you find .crdownload related infections.
Automatic Method: Remove .crdownload and all related components from Mac OS X
It is possible to remove .crdownload related programs from Mac OS X based devices. We have already discussed about manual method of .crdownload removal for Mac devices in the procedure above. Now comes to automatic method. We advise you to download/install and use “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software on Mac OS X devices.
“Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software is powerful security application that is designed to protect your Mac PC against .crdownload related malware and also optimized overall PC performance as well. This anti-malware follows the best mechanism to find out the malicious files and throw way from targeted one. It provides you best and most effective solution in such situation. So, you can scan your PC using this powerful security application.
How to download/install and use “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software?
- Click on “Download” button to download “Combo Cleaner” on your Mac
- Once downloaded, drag the “Installer” file to “Applications” folder to install the program
- Once installed, open the “Combo Cleaner” application and go to “Antivirus Tab”
- Select “Scan Mode” and click on “Start Scan”
- All the hidden threats will appear on the screen. Now, click on “Remove All Threats” button