Easy methods to delete Dex Ransomware from PCs (Remove Dharma Ransomware’s variants)
Dex Ransomware is another file virus belongs to Dharma Ransomware family. This dubious file virus operates by encrypting/locking all files stored in your computer hard drive and demands ransom payment for decryption. It modifies each file by adding victim’s unique ID, [email protected] email address and appending .dex File Extension. After encryption process is fished, it drops “FILES ENCRYPTED.txt” text file as ransom notes in each folder of your computer that contain encrypted files that claims to recover or decrypt your all files immediately, once you pay demanded ransom money to them. But it is bogus at all. You should never trust on them at any cases.
The message displayed on Dex Ransomware’s ransom note states that all files of your computer hard drive have been locked and you need to pay certain amount of extortion money to decrypt files locked by ransomware. It also claims the only way to decrypt or recover all files locked by ransomware is to purchase & use its decryption keys/software, and in order to renames locked files manually or uses third parties’ decryption software, you will lose your all personal files & folders permanently. Initially, attackers behind this ransomware provide free decryption service for some locked files and ask you to send 2-3 locked files on email ID presented in ransom note. After free decryption test successful, it forces you to pay certain amount of ransom money to decrypt rest of the files.
We recommended you to avoid paying any amount of ransom money to them for decryption. They are not going recover or decrypt your files locked by ransomware even ransom money is paid. In order to pay ransom money, they can keep record of your some information such as IP address, URLs search, login ID & password of your various accounts, banking information and more details. As per our research, the only way to recover your locked files is to restore them from a backup. But before that, you should try to remove Dex Ransomware and all the related components from machine immediately.
Let’s take have a look at message displayed on ransom note:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED
Don’t worry,you can return all your files!
If you want to restore them, follow this link:email [email protected] YOUR ID –
If you have not been answered via the link within 12 hours, write to us by e-mail:dex.dex.tuta.io
Do not rename encrypted files.
Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
How did Ransomware or other similar malware install on computer?
“Email Spam Campaigns” or “Malspam Campaigns” is mostly used mechanism by cybercriminals to spread malware or viruses like ransomware in your machine. They use the name like “Urgent”, “Official”, “Important”, “Priority” and/or other similar keywords as subject/title of emails, which contain some false-positive messages along with malicious hyperlinks or attachments. Once the hyperlinks presented in spam emails clicked, you will be redirected on malicious sources that are designed to run certain scripts to download/install malware in your machine, while once attachments presented in spam emails are clicked, attackers execute malicious scripts to install ransomware, Trojan and/or other malware in your machine. On other hand, if you purchase license or activate software installed in your computer with illegal activation tools, fake software updaters and other third parties’ sources, then you also allow them to install malware or viruses in your machine.
Prevention tips: How to protect your System against Ransomware infections?
- Create backup or keep backup of your all personal files stored in your machine on some external storage device or on cloud storage.
- Keep up-to-date your Operating System (OS), antivirus software and other legitimate software installed in your machine.
- Scan the PC for malware or viruses regularly with powerful antivirus software
- Any attachments and hyperlinks presented in spam or irrelevant emails must not be opened.
- Hover your mouse over any hyperlinks before click and double-check if the hyperlinks are belongs to some trustworthy sources.
Threat Name: Dex Ransomware, .dex File Virus
Threat Type: Ransomware, File Virus, Crypto-Malware
Ransom note: “FILES ENCRYPTED.txt”
File Extension: “.dex”
Description: Able to lock all types/formats of files by appending .dex file extension and demands ransom payment for decryption.
Distribution methods: Malicious emails and attachments, suspicious hyperlinks, fake software updaters, installers and downloaders
Ransomware removal method: To remove Dex Ransomware or similar malware, we recommended you to scan your computer with strong antivirus software
Data recovery solution: After ransomware removal, you can restore your locked files by using strong data recovery software.
Do You Suspect Your Computer May Be Infected with ‘Dex Ransomware’ & Other Threats? Scan Your Computer for Threats with SpyHunter
Spyhunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Dex Ransomware as well as a one-on-one tech support service.
(Data Recovery Soution)
The first recommendation is to recover your encrypted data with backup files you have created. In case there is no backup available, try to restore your encrypted data with data recovery tool suggested here.
Recommended methods for Dex Ransomware removal and restore encrypted files
Dex Ransomware is very harmful crypto-malware designed to encrypt all types of files including photos, audios, videos, documents and other files, and make them inaccessible. After encryption process, it spreads the ransom note in each folder of your computer that claims the decryption is possible only when you use its data recovery service. We recommended you to please avoid paying demanded ransom money to them.
In that case, you need to remove Dex Ransomware and all the related components from PCs immediately and then perform data recovery process. Here, we are discussing about both malware removal and data recovery method that could help you to solve your problem. Ransomware removal method will help to find the location of this nasty crypto-malware in your computer and remove them completely while data recovery method will help you to get back your damaged or locked files in your machine. Let’s go for the solution.
Remove Dex Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
- Restart your PCs and press “F8” function key multiple times you see the “Advance Boot Options” window
- Select “Safe Mode with Networking” in the list
- Now, log in to account with Dex Ransomware infection
- Open your internet browser and download the legitimate anti-malware software. You can download “SpyHunter” anti-malware software that has the ability to delete all types of malware or spyware from machine.
- Update the anti-malware software and starts the “Full Scan” operation to remove all programs related to Dex Ransomware from machine.
Remove Dex Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and “System Restore”
- Restart your computer and press “F8” function key multiple times until “Windows Advance Options” menu appears
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” option in the list
- Now, type “cd restore” command in command Prompt and hit “Enter” key to execute it
- After that, type “rstrui.exe” command in command line and hit “Enter” key
- Once “rstrui.exe” command executed, “System Restore” window will appear
- Click on “Next” button
- Choose one of available “Restore Points” and click on “Next”
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Yes” to start “System Restore” process
- After restoring your computer to previous date, download/install and scan your computer with powerful anti-malware software to eliminate any remaining malicious programs related of Dex Ransomware. You can download the powerful antivirus software via “download link” below
Restore files encrypted by Dex Ransomware using “Windows Previous Versions” feature
To restore individual files encrypted by Dex Ransomware, follow the steps below:
- To restore a file, right-click on it and go to “Properties”
- Select the “Previous Versions” tab
- If the relevant files has a “Restore Point”, select it and click on “Restore” button
Note: This method is only effective if “System Restore” function was enabled on your Windows operating System. On other hand, some ransomware variants like Dex Ransomware are known to remove “Shadow Volume Copies” of the files. So, we can say that this method may not work for data recovery.
Restore files locked by Dex Ransomware using “Shadow Explorer”
To restore files, you can use “Shadow Explorer” application. This application allows you to browse the “Shadow Copies” created by Windows OS Shadow Copy Service. “Shadow Explorer” helps if you are unable of access the “Shadow Copies” by default especially in “Windows Home Editions”. Note that “Shadow Copies” can directly be accessed only in Business Ultimate and Enterprise versions.
“Shadow Explorer” provides Volume Shadow copy service and other features including retrieve all the variants of files and folders available, allow to access through shadow copies and show available current copies.
Important Note: This data recovery application is designed to decrypt or recover your files from Shadow copies which is created by “Windows Volume Shadow Copies Service”. But when we talk about Dex Ransomware or other harmful ransomware variants, it usually deletes “Shadow volume copies” and any other backup files using malicious tricks. So if System has already been infected with this type of ransomware virus, then you can’t access “Shadow Copies” using this software. Anyway, you can use “Shadow Explorer” if you want and please check if it works.
How to download/install and use “Shadow Explorer” on Windows PCs?
- Click on “Download” button below to download the “Shadow Explorer” application
- Double-click on “Installer file” or “Downloaded ZIP file” to install this software
- Once installed, open “Shadow Explorer” as Administrator
- Now, from the drop down list you can select from one of the available point-in-time Shadow copies
- You can right-click on any file or folder and export it
- After that, choose a folder where the files from “Shadow Copies” are saved to
- In case if a file or folder in the destination folder already exists, “Shadow Explorer” asks for the confirmation before overwriting. Check the box “Do not show this dialog again”, if you don’t want to show this again.
- There is a button in the settings (File, Settings) to reset this decision
Recovery of files encrypted by Dex Ransomware or similar ransomware
If you are unable to recover your lost files by using “System Restore”, “Windows Previous versions features” and “Shadow Explorer”, then you can go for another data recovery solution. As said earlier in most of the cases, ransomware variants like Dex Ransomware are capable of deleting “Shadow volume copies” created by Windows OS by default. In this case, you can use “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software”. This powerful data recovery software is designed to recover all files encrypted by Dex Ransomware.
“ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” is user-friendly software for Windows and Mac OS X based devices that features include RAID and Virtual drive recovery and repairing all types of corrupted files. It works with both non-bootable and encrypted drives. In simple word, we can say that this powerful data recover software does great job.
This powerful recovery software takes less time to recover files locked by Dex Ransomware and support all known files type and custom types can be added with advanced options menu. “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” recovers emails, photos, audios, videos, documents and etc from any storage media devices like hard drives, SSD, DVD, USB drives, and others
On other hand, it recovers crucial data from missing or deleted partitions of hard drive volume in just few steps. It generates a preview of search results during scan so you get to see all the recoverable files before recovery. This preview result appears on screen in “Tree-View” and deleted list formats.
How to download/install and use “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” on Windows PCs?
- Click on “Download” button below to download “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” in your computer
- Double-click on “Installer file” to install the application
- Once installed, open “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software”
- Select type of data you want to recover. Option: All Data, Office Documents, Folders, Emails, Audios and Videos. And then click on “Next”
- Now, select he folder location, drive or volume you want to scan for data and click on “Scan”
- Wait for the completion. Once done, select the files and click on “Recover” button to save your recover files