Browser hijacked by SmartStreamSearch Virus: Is there any solution?
Threat Name: SmartStreamSearch, SmartStreamSearch browser hijacker, SmartStreamSearch adware
Threat Type: Browser Hijacker, Redirect Virus, Adware, PUA, Unwanted New Tab
Affected browsers: Google Chrome, IE, Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
Description: This dubious redirect virus is able to hijack your main browser by making several unwanted modifications in your browser’s settings without your knowledge.
Distribution methods: Fake software updaters, installers and downloaders, malicious advertisements or popups, suspicious hyperlinks
Motives of malware programmers: Aims to collect your browsing-related data or sensitive information and shares these collected data to illegal ones.
Malware removal method: To remove SmartStreamSearch adware or similar malware, you can scan your computer with powerful antivirus software.
How did PUAs, adware or malware install on computer?
“Software Bundling Method” – mostly used mechanism by cybercriminals to spread PUAs, adware or malware in your computer. These rough applications can be downloaded/installed from other software packages as additional offers. These malicious additions can easily be seen in “Custom/Advance/Manual” settings in setups of download software package and can be remove easily by unticking their checkboxes in these settings. But in case if you choose “Quick/Express/Recommended” settings instead of choosing “Custom/Advance/Manual” settings in installation setups, then you also download all additional programs including malicious additions in your computer. On other hand, malicious advertisements or popups are designed to run scripts to download/install PUAs, adware or malware in your computer.
What is SmartStreamSearch? What it does?
“SmartStreamSearch” application or “SmartStreamSearch.com” – address of bogus search engine is categorized as browser hijacker virus. This nasty redirect virus is designed to make several unwanted modifications in your browser’s settings in order to promote “SmartStreamSearch.com” search engine. It modifies the default search engine, homepage and new tab URLs of your browser with this nasty domain. This bogus search engine claims to help you to access to various popular websites/sources easily with improved results. It redirects you to search.yahoo.com that provides results generated by Yahoo. In other words, this bogus search engine doesn’t generate any unique results.
SmartStreamSearch blocks/prevents you from revert these changes means you can’t undo the changes made. It attempts to engage you on scam/shady/questionable/untrustworthy websites and tricks you into downloading/installing potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) in your computer. It installs bogus browser helper objects (BHOs) like unwanted extensions, plug-ins or add-ons in your browser that allows the attackers to monitor your online activities and collect your browsing-related data or personal data. However, these bogus browser helper objects are also considered as PUAs that are designed to open other malicious website and/or run malicious scripts to download/install other PUAs or malware in your machine.
Cybercriminals behind SmartStreamSearch attacks attempts to tricks you into providing your personal details by visiting scam/questionable WebPages. It affects your online experience lots by spreads huge amount of ads or popups on your browser. These malicious ads or popup are also designed to run certain scripts to download/install malware or viruses in your machine. The main motive of attackers is to collect your some information such as IP address, URLs search, username & password of your various accounts, banking information and more details. So, it is important to remove SmartStreamSearch browser hijacker from machine as soon as possible.
Precautionary measures: How to protect your System against PUAs, adware or malware?
- All the applications must be downloaded/installed from official sources/websites or via direct links
- Any applications must not be downloaded/installed from unofficial sources, peer-to-peer file sharing network, fake software updaters, installers and downloaders
- Any hyperlinks/buttons, ads or popup appeared on untrustworthy website must not be clicked.
- Hover you mouse over any hyperlinks before click and double-check if the hyperlinks are belongs to some trustworthy sources.
- Scan the PC for malware or viruses regularly with powerful antivirus software.
Do You Suspect Your Computer May Be Infected with ‘SmartStreamSearch‘ & Other Threats? Scan Your Computer for Threats with SpyHunter
Spyhunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like SmartStreamSearch as well as a one-on-one tech support service.
Recommended Methods for SmartStreamSearch removal from computer
SmartStreamSearch is very dangerous threats designed to injects malicious codes in each location of your computer and damage your computer in very quick time. So, it is important to detect all components related to this virus and attempt to delete as soon as possible. Here, we are discussing about manual and automatic method of malware removal that could help you to remove adware, PUA, PUP, Trojan, worms or other harmful viruses from System.
We will talk about “Automatic Method” further in this article. This process is only about manual method which allows you to detect/delete all the malicious extensions or add-ons installed on your browser. The solution here will help you eliminate unwanted programs or applications from PCs, and remove SmartStreamSearch related programs from System registry and so on.
You should read the manual guide carefully and follow each step one-by-one mentioned here. In case if you miss any step or jump to the next one by escaping, it might cause several other System problems. In other word, we can say that there is need of technical knowledge or enough computer knowledge to follow the manual steps. Let’s try to know the location of SmartStreamSearch and other associated files in your computer, and remove all the components from System completely using manual method.
Remove SmartStreamSearch and related component from Windows PCs manually
For Windows 10 users:
- Open “Setting” App by pressing “Windows + I” key together from keyboard
- Go to “Apps > Apps and Features”
- Locate SmartStreamSearch related programs or other malicious applications in the list
- Click on malicious program and click on “Uninstall”.
- Follow the On-Screen instructions to uninstall the program completely. Once done, please check if SmartStreamSearch related files or program is removed.
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users:
- Click on “Windows + R” key from keyboard to open “Run Dialog Box”
- Type “Control Panel” in “Run Dialog Box” and hit “Enter” key
- In the opened Control Panel, select “Programs and Features”
- Now, locate all the malicious programs related of SmartStreamSearch in the list
- Click on it and then click on “Uninstall” button
- Follow the On-Screen instructions to uninstall the malicious program.
For Windows 7 users:
- Click on “Start” button and type “Control Panel” in Windows Search
- In the opened Control Panel, go to “Uninstall a Program” option
- Now, find all the malicious programs in the list
- Select it and click on “Uninstall” button.
- Wait for the completion. Once done, please check if SmartStreamSearch related programs is removed.
For Windows XP users:
- Click on “Start” button and click on “Control Panel”
- In the opened Control Panel, Go to “Add or Remove Program” option
- Locate SmartStreamSearch and other malicious programs in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” to remove it from PCs
- Follow the On-Screen instructions to finish the uninstall process.
Remove SmartStreamSearch from “Windows Registry Editor”
- Press “Windows + R” key together from keyboard to open “Run Dialog Box”
- In the opened “Run Dialog Box”, type ”regedit” and hit “Enter” key to open “Windows Registry Editor” App
- In the opened “Registry Editor” Window, search for registry entries created by SmartStreamSearch and delete it permanently. Navigate the following location give below and delete SmartStreamSearch from here
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run” “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run” “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce” “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce”
- Once done, close “Registry Editor” window and please check if SmartStreamSearch related files is removed.
Delete SmartStreamSearch and related components from Mac OS X manually
Stop SmartStreamSearch related malicious programs from “Activity Monitor”
- Go to “Go > Utilities” to open “Utilities” Folder
- Navigate the “Activity Monitor” icon in the list and double-click on it to open
- Find all the malicious process related to SmartStreamSearch and click on “cross button” on upper left corner to end the task
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Fore Quit” option. Once done, please check if SmartStreamSearch related files is removed.
Remove SmartStreamSearch from “Applications” folder
- Go to “Go > Applications” to open “Applications” folder
- Now, locate SmartStreamSearch related programs in the applications folder
- Right click on malicious one and click on “Move To Trash” button
Remove SmartStreamSearch from “LaunchAgents” folder
- Navigate to “Go > Go to Folder” and type “/Library/LaunchAgents” and then hit “Go” button
- Now, find all entry related to SmartStreamSearch from “LaunchAgents” folder.
- Click on it and the drag it to “Trash” Folder
Remove SmartStreamSearch related programs from “Application Support” folder
- Navigate “Go > Go to Folder”
- Type “/Library/Application Support” in “Go To Folder” and hit “Go” button
- Now, search for SmartStreamSearch related infection in “Application Support” folder
- Select it and drag it to “Trash” folder
Uninstall malicious programs related to SmartStreamSearch from “LaunchDaemons” folder
- Press “COMMAND + SHIFT + G” button together to open “Go to Folder”
- In the opened “Go To Folder”, type “/Library/LaunchDaemons” and click on “Go” button
- Now, locate SmartStreamSearch related entry in “LaunchDaemons” folder
- Select the malicious one and move it to “Trash” Folder
Remove all extensions, add-ons or plug-ins related to SmartStreamSearch from web browsers
Remove malicious extensions from Google Chrome
- Open “Google Chrome” browser and click on “Chrome Menu” or “Gear icon”
- Go to “More Tools > Extensions” option
- Now, locate the malicious extensions associated with SmartStreamSearch in the list
- Select the malicious one and click on “Trash” icon
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Remove” button. Once done, please check if SmartStreamSearch related extensions is removed.
Reset Google Chrome:
- Open “Google Chrome” browser and click on “Gear icon” or “Chrome Menu”
- Select “Settings” and scroll down to bottom of screen and click on “Advanced” link
- Click on “Reset” button and to confirm reset the Google Chrome Settings, click on “Reset” button on confirmation dialog box.
Delete malicious extensions from Mozilla Firefox
- Open “Mozilla Firefox” browser and click on “Firefox Menu” or “Gear icon”
- Go to “Add-ons > Extensions”
- Now, find recently installed malicious add-ons or extensions related to SmartStreamSearch in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” button to remove it completely
Reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open “Mozilla Firefox” browser and click on “Firefox Menu”
- Go to “Help > Troubleshooting Information”
- In the opened window, click on “Refresh Firefox” button
- After that, click “Refresh Firefox” button on confirmation dialog box and reset the Firefox settings
Remove all the extensions or plug-ins related to SmartStreamSearch from Internet Explorer
- Open “Internet Explorer” browser and click on “Gear icon” at the top right corner of Internet Explorer browser
- Go to “Manage add-ons > Toolbars and Extensions”
- Now, find SmartStreamSearch related extensions in the list
- Select the malicious one and click on “Disable” button to remove it permanently
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Open “Internet Explorer” browser and click on “Gear icon” or “Tool Menu”
- Click on “Internet Options” and select “Advanced” tab
- Now, click on “Reset” button
- In the confirmation dialog box, mark the “Delete Personal Settings” and then click on “Reset” button again
Uninstall SmartStreamSearch related plug-ins from Microsoft Edge
- Open “Microsoft Edge” browser and click on “Edge Gear” icon at the top right corner
- Select “Extensions” and search for recently installed plug-ins or extensions in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” button
Reset Microsoft Edge:
- Open “Microsoft Edge” browser and click on “Edge Menu”
- Select “Settings” and click on “Reset Settings” button to rest the Microsoft Edge Settings
Remove SmartStreamSearch related extensions or add-ons from Safari browser
- Open “Safari” browser and click on “Safari Menu”
- Go to “Preferences > Extensions”
- Now, locate SmartStreamSearch related extensions in the list
- Select it and click on “Uninstall” to remove it completely
Reset Safari browser:
- Open “Safari” browser and click on “Safari Menu”
- Select “Clear History and Website Data…..”
- In the opened window, choose “All History” option and click on “Clear History” button
Automatic method of SmartStreamSearch removal
The procedures mentioned above is all about manual method of SmartStreamSearch removal means you can remove any malicious applications, add-ins or extensions, malicious registry entries from computer and browser. But these processes are time consuming and needs lots of technical knowledge to implement. So, you can go for automatic method of malware removal. This procedure will be helpful for both technical & non-technical users and they could remove all types of infection from their Windows OS and Mac OS X computer in very quick time. Let’s go for automatic method.
Automatic method: Remove SmartStreamSearch and related components from Windows PCs
Here, we suggest you to download/install and use “SpyHunter” anti-malware software on your Windows OS based devices. This security tool will help you to delete all the components related of SmartStreamSearch from your machine in few minutes. However, both technical and non-technical users can easily use this application and remove unwanted programs from their PCs.
“SpyHunter” security application is designed to detect and delete all types of malware including adware, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), PUAs, rootkits, browser hijackers, Trojan horse virus, backdoor virus, worms, keyloggers and other types of malware.
“SpyHunter” anti-malware is powerful security tool that works on advance scanning mechanism to identify viruses quickly. It is in-built with enhanced multi-layer process that helps you to search for all types of malware. This security application is capable of detecting and removing all kinks of malware or viruses from machine.
This security application features user friendly interface and 24 * 7 Customer Support, HelpDesk customer support service, and the support team delivers custom malware fixes with help of HelpDesk feature.
How to download/install and use “SpyHunter” anti-malware software?
- Click on “Download” button given below to go to “SpyHunter” page and download the “SpyHunter” software
- Once downloaded, double-click on “Installer” file to install the program on your machine
- Follow On-Screen instructions to install “SpyHunter”.
- Once done, open “SpyHunter” and click on “Start Scan Now” button to start scanning process. For the first time, you should select “Full Scan” option
- Now, click on “View Scan Results” to see the list of detected threats or infections
- After that, click on “Next” button to registry the software and remove permanently if you find SmartStreamSearch related infections.
Automatic Method: Remove SmartStreamSearch and all related components from Mac OS X
It is possible to remove SmartStreamSearch related programs from Mac OS X based devices. We have already discussed about manual method of SmartStreamSearch removal for Mac devices in the procedure above. Now comes to automatic method. We advise you to download/install and use “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software on Mac OS X devices.
“Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software is powerful security application that is designed to protect your Mac PC against SmartStreamSearch related malware and also optimized overall PC performance as well. This anti-malware follows the best mechanism to find out the malicious files and throw way from targeted one. It provides you best and most effective solution in such situation. So, you can scan your PC using this powerful security application.
How to download/install and use “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software?
- Click on “Download” button to download “Combo Cleaner” on your Mac
- Once downloaded, drag the “Installer” file to “Applications” folder to install the program
- Once installed, open the “Combo Cleaner” application and go to “Antivirus Tab”
- Select “Scan Mode” and click on “Start Scan”
- All the hidden threats will appear on the screen. Now, click on “Remove All Threats” button