Easy steps to delete Acuff ransomware
Acuff ransomware is newly detected data encrypting malware that belongs to Phobos ransomware family. This dubious threat aim is to gain profit by blocking the access of more valuable information on the user system. Once your system has been infected by this virus, it renames all encrypting files by adding a victims ID, developers email address and by appending “.Acuff” extension.
After its successful encryption, it generates two ransom notes info.hta and info.txt and dropped it on victims desktop to inform them about encryption and also provides instructions on how to contact cyber criminals. Victims are asked to contact cyber criminals through the email and wait for further information such as price of decryption tool and how to pay for it.
Users are also offered free decryption test of not more than 5 encrypted files as well as they do not contain any valuable information and before making any payment such files are sent to the provided email addresses. This can only be done in order to gain the trust of users so that they can believe on the cyber criminals.
In that case, it is not the right choice to trust any cyber criminals and pay money to them because it is a spam. Once you agree to make payments, hackers behind this Acuff ransomware start ignoring victims and not even answer their calls or messages. This means that paying money may not provide any positive results and simply you will get scammed.
Ransomware is one of the main reasons that we should maintain regular data backups. You must store backup data in unplugged storage devices or remote servers like Cloud because if you stored them in your PC then it will be compromised along with your regular data, and there is a chance that used server or storage device will be damaged. For this reasons, it is suggested to create multiple backup copies and stored them at different locations.
How did Acuff ransomware infect system?
To distribute this malware, cyber criminals use some deceptive methods including fake software updating tools, Trojans, third party software downloading sources and spam email campaigns. Untrustworthy software download sources are used by scammers to trick users to install viruses on their system. In some cases, they use fake software update tools to download and install viruses rather than they exploit outdated software bugs and flaws to proliferate harmful threats and viruses.
Trojans are malicious programs that can be designed to cause chain infection. Once users install this virus on a PC, then Trojan install additional malware. Lastly, cyber crooks send emails that contain infected attachments. Usually, their emails are disguised as official. Once recipients open such malicious file, they cause installation of malware. Thus, it is necessary to eliminate this malware from the computer instantly before it causes any damage.
How to avoid Acuff ransomware infection?
To prevent ransomware type viruses you must be very cautious while browsing internet and downloading/installing any software. Do not open any spam emails that looks suspicious or comes from unknown addresses. You must avoid downloading software from unofficial websites or by using third party downloader’s. If you use, these setup will contain rogue applications that might cause high risk system infection.
All software downloads should only be done using official and trustworthy websites. You must install reputable antivirus program because these tools can prevent PC from being harmed by various infections. If your system has been already infected with Acuff ransomware, then we recommend you to scan with Spyhunter for Windows that has the capability to eliminate such harmful ransomware automatically.
Text presented in Acuff ransomware’s pop-up window (“info.hta”):
All your files have been encrypted!
Your PC has been infected by a ransomware. If you want to restore them, contact the following address below.
E – Mail contact – [email protected] / [email protected]
Write this ID in the title of your message –
Free decryption as guarantee
Before paying you can send us up to 5 files for free decryption. The total size of files must be less than 4Mb (non archived), and files should not contain valuable information. (databases,backups, large excel sheets, etc.)
Where to buy bitcoins?
The easiest way to buy bitcoins is LocalBitcoins site. You have to register, click ‘Buy bitcoins’, and select the seller by payment method and price.
Also you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginners guide here:
NEVER RENAME ENCRYPTED FILES THIS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR FILES PERMANENTLY
Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.
Do You Suspect Your Computer May Be Infected with ‘Acuff ransomware’ & Other Threats? Scan Your Computer for Threats with SpyHunter
Spyhunter is a powerful malware remediation and protection tool designed to help provide users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of a wide range of threats like Acuff ransomware as well as a one-on-one tech support service.
(Data Recovery Soution)
The first recommendation is to recover your encrypted data with backup files you have created. In case there is no backup available, try to restore your encrypted data with data recovery tool suggested here.
Recommended methods for Acuff ransomware removal and restore encrypted files
Acuff ransomware is very harmful crypto-malware designed to encrypt all types of files including photos, audios, videos, documents and other files, and make them inaccessible. After encryption process, it spreads the ransom note in each folder of your computer that claims the decryption is possible only when you use its data recovery service. We recommended you to please avoid paying demanded ransom money to them.
In that case, you need to remove Acuff ransomware and all the related components from PCs immediately and then perform data recovery process. Here, we are discussing about both malware removal and data recovery method that could help you to solve your problem. Ransomware removal method will help to find the location of this nasty crypto-malware in your computer and remove them completely while data recovery method will help you to get back your damaged or locked files in your machine. Let’s go for the solution.
Remove Acuff ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
- Restart your PCs and press “F8” function key multiple times you see the “Advance Boot Options” window
- Select “Safe Mode with Networking” in the list
- Now, log in to account with Acuff ransomware infection
- Open your internet browser and download the legitimate anti-malware software. You can download “SpyHunter” anti-malware software that has the ability to delete all types of malware or spyware from machine.
- Update the anti-malware software and starts the “Full Scan” operation to remove all programs related to Acuff ransomware from machine.
Remove Acuff ransomware using “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and “System Restore”
- Restart your computer and press “F8” function key multiple times until “Windows Advance Options” menu appears
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” option in the list
- Now, type “cd restore” command in command Prompt and hit “Enter” key to execute it
- After that, type “rstrui.exe” command in command line and hit “Enter” key
- Once “rstrui.exe” command executed, “System Restore” window will appear
- Click on “Next” button
- Choose one of available “Restore Points” and click on “Next”
- In the confirmation dialog box, click on “Yes” to start “System Restore” process
- After restoring your computer to previous date, download/install and scan your computer with powerful anti-malware software to eliminate any remaining malicious programs related of Acuff ransomware. You can download the powerful antivirus software via “download link” below
Restore files encrypted by Acuff ransomware using “Windows Previous Versions” feature
To restore individual files encrypted by Acuff ransomware, follow the steps below:
- To restore a file, right-click on it and go to “Properties”
- Select the “Previous Versions” tab
- If the relevant files has a “Restore Point”, select it and click on “Restore” button
Note: This method is only effective if “System Restore” function was enabled on your Windows operating System. On other hand, some ransomware variants like Acuff ransomware are known to remove “Shadow Volume Copies” of the files. So, we can say that this method may not work for data recovery.
Restore files locked by Acuff ransomware using “Shadow Explorer”
To restore files, you can use “Shadow Explorer” application. This application allows you to browse the “Shadow Copies” created by Windows OS Shadow Copy Service. “Shadow Explorer” helps if you are unable of access the “Shadow Copies” by default especially in “Windows Home Editions”. Note that “Shadow Copies” can directly be accessed only in Business Ultimate and Enterprise versions.
“Shadow Explorer” provides Volume Shadow copy service and other features including retrieve all the variants of files and folders available, allow to access through shadow copies and show available current copies.
Important Note: This data recovery application is designed to decrypt or recover your files from Shadow copies which is created by “Windows Volume Shadow Copies Service”. But when we talk about Acuff ransomware or other harmful ransomware variants, it usually deletes “Shadow volume copies” and any other backup files using malicious tricks. So if System has already been infected with this type of ransomware virus, then you can’t access “Shadow Copies” using this software. Anyway, you can use “Shadow Explorer” if you want and please check if it works.
How to download/install and use “Shadow Explorer” on Windows PCs?
- Click on “Download” button below to download the “Shadow Explorer” application
- Double-click on “Installer file” or “Downloaded ZIP file” to install this software
- Once installed, open “Shadow Explorer” as Administrator
- Now, from the drop down list you can select from one of the available point-in-time Shadow copies
- You can right-click on any file or folder and export it
- After that, choose a folder where the files from “Shadow Copies” are saved to
- In case if a file or folder in the destination folder already exists, “Shadow Explorer” asks for the confirmation before overwriting. Check the box “Do not show this dialog again”, if you don’t want to show this again.
- There is a button in the settings (File, Settings) to reset this decision
Recovery of files encrypted by Acuff ransomware or similar ransomware
If you are unable to recover your lost files by using “System Restore”, “Windows Previous versions features” and “Shadow Explorer”, then you can go for another data recovery solution. As said earlier in most of the cases, ransomware variants like Acuff ransomware are capable of deleting “Shadow volume copies” created by Windows OS by default. In this case, you can use “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software”. This powerful data recovery software is designed to recover all files encrypted by Acuff ransomware.
“ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” is user-friendly software for Windows and Mac OS X based devices that features include RAID and Virtual drive recovery and repairing all types of corrupted files. It works with both non-bootable and encrypted drives. In simple word, we can say that this powerful data recover software does great job.
This powerful recovery software takes less time to recover files locked by Acuff ransomware and support all known files type and custom types can be added with advanced options menu. “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” recovers emails, photos, audios, videos, documents and etc from any storage media devices like hard drives, SSD, DVD, USB drives, and others
On other hand, it recovers crucial data from missing or deleted partitions of hard drive volume in just few steps. It generates a preview of search results during scan so you get to see all the recoverable files before recovery. This preview result appears on screen in “Tree-View” and deleted list formats.
How to download/install and use “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” on Windows PCs?
- Click on “Download” button below to download “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software” in your computer
- Double-click on “Installer file” to install the application
- Once installed, open “ EaseUS Data Recovery Software”
- Select type of data you want to recover. Option: All Data, Office Documents, Folders, Emails, Audios and Videos. And then click on “Next”
- Now, select he folder location, drive or volume you want to scan for data and click on “Scan”
- Wait for the completion. Once done, select the files and click on “Recover” button to save your recover files