Proper guide to delete ProgressHandler
ProgressHandler is advertisement based malware program classified as adware because it feed users with various advertisements. This type of apps delivers ads and pop-ups in form of coupons, banners, surveys, deals and other type of ads. It is common that ads displayed by adware are designed to open unreliable websites. Despite this, apps of this type also have browser hijacker functionalities. In most cases, people download and install adware and browser hijackers unintentionally therefore they are categorized as PUAs.
As we discussed earlier that ProgressHandler not only functions as adware but also as a browser hijacker. It means this app promote address of some fake search engine by modifying installed browser settings. Usually, this app makes changes such as default search engine, homepage and new tab URL to addresses of certain dubious search engine. Due to this, users are repeatedly redirected to the domain when they open new browsing tab/window. Such changes cannot be undone until this type of app is installed.
Data tracking is yet another feature of the threats. They can monitor users browsing habits and collect information like addresses of visited pages, geo-locations, IP addresses, entered search queries and other browsing related details. Sometimes, they are also designed to collect personal, sensitive information. In such case, developers misuse those collected data to generate revenue by selling it to third parties (potentially cyber criminals). Thus, presence of data tracking can results into serious privacy issues, financial losses or even identity theft.
How did ProgressHandler intrude?
ProgressHandler is advertised on its official website and so could be downloaded from there. However, users could install it unintentionally/accidentally. Developers try to trick users into downloading and installing potentially unwanted programs attached with some other software by using deceptive marketing method called bundling. What they do is that they hide the bundled apps behind custom, advanced and other similar settings of setups. Not all users check these options when they download or install programs that have unwanted apps included in their setups. In such case, they download and install both wanted and unwanted apps.
How to avoid intrusion of unwanted programs?
To avoid intruding the malware infections, use official websites and direct links for any programs and files download. Avoid third party installers, free file hosting sites and p2p file sharing networks. Spam emails containing attachments should not be opened. These include payload for associated malware. Intrusive ads redirect users to unreliable websites or cause download and install of unwanted applications and so should be avoided clicking on them. To prevent browser to show ads, you need to uninstall all extensions or add-ons that are installed on your browser and the program of this type installed on your computer.
Type: Adware, PUP, Browser hijacker, Mac malware, Mac virus
Description: display lots of unwanted and annoying ads and pop-ups on your desktop as well as redirect you to dubious websites constantly.
Damage: steal financial as well as personal information, browser tracking (possibly privacy issues), identity theft and allow other additional malware infections.
Symptoms: Your web browser begins to display various types of online advertisements which result in slowing down of your system.
Distribution: Freeware downloads via unofficial websites, Visiting suspicious pages and clicking on ads, Browser Redirection to questionable sites.
Removal: To remove ProgressHandler, we recommend our users to use some reliable antimalware removal tool.
If your Mac has been infected, try for powerful Anti-malware Combo Cleaner. It scans your entire drive and allow you search for malicious viruses. If you found any virus during scanning, it is suggested to eliminate soon.
Recommended methods for ProgressHandler removal: Solution for Mac OS X Devices
ProgressHandler is capable of injecting harmful codes in your Mac OS X devices without your knowledge and starts corrupting major genuine functions or applications in very quick time. To avoid the detection of malicious activities related to this virus, attackers attempt to block security applications/tools running in your device that causes serious troubles. So, you need to remove this type of infection as soon as possible.
It is possible to delete ProgressHandler and all the related components including unwanted programs from PCs and malicious extensions associated to this virus. Here, we are discussing about manual method and automatic method of malware removal that could help you to detect the location malicious files in your computer and remove them safely. Manual method is time consuming and requires lots of technical knowledge or enough computer Knowledge. On other hand, automatic method is user-friendly and easy method that can be helpful for both technical & non-technical users. Let’s take have a look at both the methods one-by-one.
Manual Method: Remove ProgressHandler related components from Mac OS X
Remove ProgressHandler related applications from “Applications” folder
- Click on “Finder” icon and select “Applications” to open “Applications” folder
- In the opened “Applications” folder, locate ProgressHandler related applications in the list
- Select the malicious one and drag it to “Trash” folder
Eliminate ProgressHandler from “LaunchAgents” folder
- Go to “Go > Go To Folder…”
- Type “/Library/LaunchAgents” in “Go To Folder..” and click on “Go” button
- Now, search for malicious programs in the list
- Select it and drag it to “Trash” folder
Remove ProgressHandler from “Application Support” folder
- Navigate to “Go > Go To Folder…”
- In the opened “Go To Folder”, type “/Library /Application Support” and then click on “Go” button
- Now, find the malicious files or folders related to ProgressHandler in the list
- Select the malicious one and drag it to “Trash” folder
Delete ProgressHandler from “LaunchDaemons” folder
- Press “COMMAND + SHIFT + G” together to open “Go To Folder”
- Type “/Library/LaunchDaemons” command in “Go To Folder” and hit “Go” button
- Check for any malicious files or folders associated with ProgressHandler in the list
- Select it and drag it to “Trash” folder
Manual method: Remove all the malicious extensions or add-ons related to ProgressHandler from web browsers
Remove malicious extensions or add-ons from Safari browser
- Open “Safari” browser and click on “Safari Menu”
- Go to “Preferences > Extensions”
- Now, find the malicious extensions in the list
- Select the malicious one and click on “Uninstall” button to remove the extensions
Uninstall all the plug-ins related to ProgressHandler from Mozilla Firefox
- Open “Mozilla Firefox” and click on “Firefox Menu” or “Gear Menu”
- Go to “Add-ons > Extensions”
- Now, look for any recently installed suspicious add-ons in the list
- Select it and click on “Remove” button
Remove ProgressHandler related extensions from Google Chrome
- Open “Google Chrome” and click on “Chrome Menu” or “Gear icon”
- Go to “More Tools > Extensions”
- Locate malicious extensions or plug-ins in the list
- Remove the malicious one by clicking on “Remove” button
Automatic method: Remove ProgressHandler and other infections from Mac Computer
The solution given above is about manual method of malware removal. Now comes to automatic method, we advise to download/install and use “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software to eliminate all types of malware or spyware from your Mac OS X devices in very quick time. There is no need technical knowledge to implement this step i.e., both technical & non-technical users can easily use this tool for malware elimination.
“Combo Cleaner” antivirus software is powerful security program for Mac OS X devices that is designed to perform various actions against threats and help to boost up the PC performance. It features adware scanning, malware scanning, disk cleaner, smart scanning, external hard drive scanning, duplicate file finder, privacy scanner, big files finder, App uninstaller, etc.
Main features of “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware:
Disk cleaner: This powerful anti-malware software evaluates the contents of your hard disk and advises on the amount of memory that’s safe to remove. It detects unnecessary application caches, downloads, app logs and allow for emptying the “Trash” folder in just one click.
Big File Finder: It checks your local and external storage device for items that take up much disk space and may no longer on your Mac. The default preset looks for files larger than 100 MB, but you can easily customize this parameter by indicating a smaller value.
Duplicate Files finder: This powerful anti-malware is also capable of detecting identical copies or similar matches of same file particularly relevant for photos, audio files and videos which are often download repeatedly.
Antivirus: It is one of fundamental components of “Combo Cleaner” security software that allows users to scan their PCs for malware or other types of infections. It identifies Mac Malware including adware, browser hijackers, popup viruses, Trojan, worm or other types of malware.
Privacy Scanner: It focuses on analyzing the installed web browsers and email clients for “breadcrumbs” that may disclose your personal data and thus pose risk to your identity. This powerful antivirus software takes care of sneaky threats to your online privacy as well as boosts browser performance by removing junk from browser.
How to download/install and use “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware software?
- Click on “Download” button below to download “Combo Cleaner” anti-malware in your computer
- Locate the “Installer file” and drag it to “Applications” folder
- Open “Combo Cleaner” and click on “Antivirus” tab
- Now, click on “Start Scan Now” button to start the scan
- It will display scan results on screen. If it shows “No Threats Found”, this mean that you can continue with removal guide and if it shows the list of threats detected by this security tool, then click on “Remove All Threats” button to remove them